Pettersson: Symphony No. 15 & Viola Concerto Ellen Nisbeth, Norrköping Symphony Orchestra & Christian Lindberg
Composer: Allan Petterssons (1911-1980)
Album including Album cover Booklet (PDF)
- Allan Pettersson (): Symphony No. 15:
- 1Pettersson: Symphony No. 15: Beginning04:00
- 2Pettersson: Symphony No. 15: Bar 11604:46
- 3Pettersson: Symphony No. 15: Bar 23502:28
- 4Pettersson: Symphony No. 15: Bar 28103:19
- 5Pettersson: Symphony No. 15: Bar 36702:35
- 6Pettersson: Symphony No. 15: Bar 43403:45
- 7Pettersson: Symphony No. 15: Bar 54303:08
- 8Pettersson: Symphony No. 15: Bar 62903:34
- 9Pettersson: Symphony No. 15: Bar 69602:39
- 10Pettersson: Symphony No. 15: Bar 74804:32
- 11Pettersson: Symphony No. 15: Bar 85501:13
- Fantaisie for Solo Viola:
- 12Pettersson: Fantaisie for Solo Viola03:40
- Viola Concerto:
- 13Pettersson: Viola Concerto: Beginning05:41
- 14Pettersson: Viola Concerto: Bar 15103:39
- 15Pettersson: Viola Concerto: Bar 25202:50
- 16Pettersson: Viola Concerto: Bar 32905:02
- 17Pettersson: Viola Concerto: Bar 47406:36
- 18Pettersson: Viola Concerto: Bar 63803:46
Info for Pettersson: Symphony No. 15 & Viola Concerto
Allan Pettersson’s Symphony No. 15 is characterized by a high degree of tension right from the striking opening: brief, emphatic chords from horns and trombones above the tremolo of a side drum. Soon an expressive melodic subject is heard from the first violins, followed by contrasting rapid scales – at which point Pettersson has presented the greater part of the symphony’s building blocks. Like so many of the composer’s symphonies, the 15th is in one movement, but with clearly defined sections. It was completed in 1978, two years before Pettersson’s death, and was followed in 1979, by the sixteenth symphony, the last work that the composer submitted for performance.
Only later did it become known that Pettersson had also been working on a Viola Concerto – a work that, if not fully completed, was so far advanced that it has been accepted as part of his œuvre. It is presented here by the Swedish violist Ellen Nisbeth, who also performs one of Pettersson’s very earliest compositions – a Fantaisie pour alto seul, dated June 1936, when the composer himself was about to embark on a career as violist. On this the tenth disc in their acclaimed Pettersson cycle, the Norrköping Symphony Orchestra and Christian Lindberg bring their combined expertise to bear on the orchestral scores.
Ellen Nisbeth, viola
Norrköping Symphony Orchestra
Christian Lindberg, conductor
No albums found.
No biography found.