Amazônia. Villa-Lobos - Glass Philharmonia Zürich, Camila Provenzale & Simone Menezes
Label: Alpha Classics
Composer: Heitor Villa-Lobos (1887-1959), Philip Glass (1937)
Album including Album cover Booklet (PDF)
- Heitor Villa-Lobos (1887 - 1959): Floresta do Amazonas:
- 1Villa-Lobos: Floresta do Amazonas: I. A floresta08:40
- 2Villa-Lobos: Floresta do Amazonas: II. Em plena floresta02:38
- 3Villa-Lobos: Floresta do Amazonas: III. Pássaro da floresta – Canto I05:23
- 4Villa-Lobos: Floresta do Amazonas: IV. Dança da natureza03:19
- 5Villa-Lobos: Floresta do Amazonas: V. Conspiração e dança guerreira02:52
- 6Villa-Lobos: Floresta do Amazonas: VI. Veleiros03:44
- 7Villa-Lobos: Floresta do Amazonas: VII. Em caminhos para a caçada05:54
- 8Villa-Lobos: Floresta do Amazonas: VIII. Canção do amor05:06
- 9Villa-Lobos: Floresta do Amazonas: IX. Melodia sentimental03:25
- 10Villa-Lobos: Floresta do Amazonas: X. O fogo na floresta04:17
- 11Villa-Lobos: Floresta do Amazonas: XI. Epilogo02:53
- Philip Glass (b. 1937): Metamorphosis 1 (from Aguas da Amazonia):
- 12Glass: Metamorphosis 1 (from Aguas da Amazonia)12:55
Info for Amazônia. Villa-Lobos - Glass
Two Brazilian artists pay tribute to Villa-Lobos and the Amazon rainforest... Sebastião Salgado is a world-renowned photographer who has been working since the 1990s to protect and restore the Atlantic forest and water resources of the Rio Doce valley in Brazil. The Italian-Brazilian conductor Simone Menezes is passionate about the Brazilian composer Heitor Villa-Lobos and his symphonic poem Floresta do Amazonas, for which she created a suite for large orchestra and soprano. Together they travel the world to present an exhibition of Salgado's photographs, combined with concerts conducted by Simone in which the photographs are projected, the photographer having associated each musical phrase with one of his images... The music of this monumental project has been recorded with the Philharmonia Zürich and soprano Camila Provenzale. Ten photos by Salgado, each more striking than the last, are included in the booklet that accompanies this recording, which is completed by another tribute to Amazonian nature, by Philip Glass, with an extract from his Aguas da Amazonia.
Camila Provenzale, soprano
Simone Menezes, conductor
Italian-Brazilian soprano Camila Provenzale was a 2015 prize recipient of the Neue Stimmen Singing Competition in Germany. In 2016 she opened the season of the Bregenz Festival in Austria under baton of Maestro Paolo Carignani and the Vienna Symphony Orchestra, and in 2017 she made her made her French debut interpreting the role of Contessa di Almaviva in Mozart’s Le Nozze di Figaro at the Opéra de Toulon. In that same year she was a prize recipient of the Paris Opera Competition held in Paris at the Théâtre des Champs-Élysées.
A graduate of the Centre Perfeccionament Plácido Domingo at the Les Arts in Valencia, this season Camila performs Micaela in Carmen with Opera North in Leeds, Fiordiligi in Cosi fan tutte for Garsington Opera, Bachianas Brasileiras No.5 by Villa-Lobos with the Philharmonie de Paris, and Opera de Rouen Normandie, and Suite da Floresta do Amazonas with Técnica Real Filharmonía de Galicia. Upcoming performances include her Carnegie Hall debut under the baton of Marin Alsop with the São Paulo Symphony Orchestra, and Beethoven’s Ninth Symphony in Brazil with the São Paulo Symphony Orchestra.
Recent performances include Donna Anna in Don Giovanni for Théâtre des Champs-Élysées, Pamina in Die Zauberflöte for Teatro Solis, Hanna Glawari in Die Lustige Witge in Brazil, Donna Anna for Garsington Opera, and music by Villa Lobos and Philip Glass for her debut with the Orchestra dell ‘Accademia Nazionale di Santa Cecilia.
In 2019 Camila represented Brazil as a finalist in the Cardiff Singer of the World competition. Other prizes include the Giusy Devinu Competition in Cagliari/Italy, first prize in the Brazilian Maracanto competition, second prize in the Bidu Sayão competition, and was a prize recipient of the Neue Stimmen Singing Competition in Germany.